26 Sept 2014

dachshund baby cardigan all finished!



So it took some time but yesterday evening I finally finished my version of this cute dachshund baby caridgan, inspired by this Hjertegarn pattern picture I found on the internet.
As much as I enjoy knitting up things I truly hate seaming, sewing the pieces together, sewing up buttons! I'd love to have someone doing that for me.
My favorite part of the process is the actual knitting and figuring out the patterns. I hate to cast on the stitches and seaming.

The resolution of the original picture was good enough to count the stitches and make up my own pattern chart. For the cardigan pattern I improvised, used a  raglan-sleeve pattern and made a slightly curved neckline. Both adapted form a 1960's pattern. I knitted the bodice and the sleeves separately and the yoke in one piece. This worked great! I used garter stitch borders and took 2 stitches for the buttonholes instead of one.
Next time that is the only thing I'd change, I'd adapt the more curved neckline of the 1960's cardigan (pictures of the finished version coming soon!)

material & sizing:
Yarn: a 4-ply, superwash treated yarn, 'drops baby merino' in the colors off-white (nr 02) and brown (nr 18). I used less than 2 skeins of the main color and part of 1 skein of the accent color.

Finished measurements ( I guess it's about a 3-6 months old size)
edit: it is exactly European baby size 62!
  • width measured between underarms: 23 cm (=9 in)
  • length from the shoulder down: 24 cm (=9.5 in)
  • underarm length: 14 cm (=5.5 in)


detail of the raglan sleeve:

No comments:

Post a Comment