24 Mar 2014

sew for victory challenge - 1. my project plan



Yes, I decided that the only way to get myself into sewing again was to challenge myself to really sew (mostly: finish) a garment. After a year of knitting and producing some UFO's in the area of sewing (like my Alma blouse) now it is the time to tackle that! The sew for victory challenge at Lucky Lucille runs until the end of april, which gives me enough time to make a garment.
For those who love knitting, I'm not going to stop with that either, I continue the baby-bootie project and have another 40's scarf pattern to share.

the challenge:
  • Sew For Victory is a non-competitive sewing challenge for anyone who’s ever wanted to try sewing a 1940s style. 
  • You are allowed to pick your own pattern and work at your own pace, so long as your pattern is 1940s and your project is made specifically during Sew For Victory. 
  •  You can use any vintage sewing pattern, reproduction sewing pattern, or modern sewing pattern that helps you recreate your 1940s look. 
  • Any WWII style or post war “New Look” style is appropriate for this challenge (some late 30s or very early 50s patterns may be used so long as the overall “feel” of the project is 40s)

so what is it going to be?
I immediately knew it had to be a blouse! As I love wearing separates but don't own that many I really, really wanted to make a 40's blouse. I'm planning to make the pattern myself, by modifying a few patterns that I like. Now that I have the Patternmaking book I know exactly how the pattern should look (more about that next time) but due to the failure of my experiments in the past to make a basic sloper I'm just not making it more difficult than needed.

my goal:
To make the best fitting 40's blouse pattern for myself and sew a few really cool blouses!

what do I need to do:
- make up my own 'Frankenpattern' - use the best fitting parts of a few patterns I have
- choose & buy the fabric - I have seen some really cool prints of 110 cm wide cotton. I don't have any idea how much to order because I'm used to work with the standard 140 cm, so I need my pattern first.
- make a muslin and correct it to perfection!
- sew & finish on time

planning of blogposts:
1. project plan
2. style & pattern inspiration
4. making of...the pattern!
5. fabric choice, muslin & fitting
6. finish & reveal

No comments:

Post a Comment