20 Oct 2011

The finished fourties-style blue Burda dress!








Fabric: cotton
Pattern: Burda magazine 10/2011 #125 'Little black dress with lace inset'
Time to complete: well, quite a few hours (again), mainly due to the seam finishing with bias band.
I wanted a vintage style dress with an inset and I fell in love with this pattern the moment I saw it! It is a petite dress, so I took size 17 (which is an equivalent of size 36) And again, it is a size smaller than my measurements. Since I'm short waisted I just lengthened the bodice by 1 cm. I didn't think the straight skirt of the original dress would look good on my figure so I adjusted the skirt pattern to make an A-line skirt of it. Here is how I did it.
The fabric I choose has a pretty, matte, satiny shine but ravels like crazy, so I finished the seams with bias tape. Unfortunately the shop ran out of the pale pink one so I had to do the skirt with a dark blue tape.
Instead of a lace inset I used the main fabric and added a few buttons.
The fit is great, it is fitted enough to look beautiful but there is enough room for me to comfortably sit in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment